Veterans Resource Center"Providing Resources for Your Education"
122 Showalter Hall
Cheney, WA 99004-2413
Ten Steps to Enrollment
1. Visit www.gibill.va.gov.
This is the official Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefits website. Here you can compare benefits and decide which is best for you. Once you decide use the electronic application on this site to apply. If you know which benefit is best for you go directly to the Vets.gov (Veterans online application) at https://www.vets.gov/education/apply-for-education-benefits/. Select EWU as your school. Continue your enrollment process while waiting for your Certification of Eligibility.
2. Apply to Eastern Washington University at www.ewu.edu/Apply.
There is a $50 application fee. Priority deadline date is February 1. If you are applying for scholarships you should apply for admissions by January 15. Submit official transcripts from any and all colleges you have attended as well as official Joint Services Transcripts (JST) or CCAF transcripts. If you are a transfer student with less than 40 transferrable credits you will be asked to submit your SAT or ACT test schools and high school transcripts.
Submit the transcripts to: EWU Office of Admissions, 304 Sutton Hall, Cheney WA 99004
3. Receive email verifying receipt of your application
This email is sent out within a week after an application is submitted. It will contain important information about your next steps to set up your Eagle accounts. A follow up letter will be sent to you listing any missing paperwork still required to complete the processing of your admissions application.
4. Receive Admissions Acceptance letter
These letters are mailed out 2-5 weeks after all transcripts are submitted, the application is complete, and you are admitted. When admitted go to http://www.ewu.edu/undergrad/admitted and confirm you will attend by following the directions provided. This includes paying the one time New Student Enrollment Fee of $250. Fee will be reported to VA for Post 911 students.
5. Academic Advising
Academic Advising is required for all freshman undergraduate students each quarter your first year. Contact your advisor to schedule your appointment after you have been admitted and you confirm your enrollment. Transfer students go to this website for online orientation: http://access.ewu.edu/nsp/orientation/onlineorientation.xml . Transfer students will also need to meet with an advisor before your first quarter in order to register. Students with 40 transferable credits or less, or undecided majors, should contact General Undergraduate Academic Advising (509-359-2345). If you have 40 transferable credits or more, and are ready to declare, please contact your major department and make an appointment with a departmental advisor.
6. EWU Veterans Benefits
Bring a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility and/or class schedule to the EWU Veterans Resource Center. The center is located at 122 Showalter Hall, Cheney WA 99004. Phone number is (509) 359-7040. Notify the Veterans Resource Center whenever you register for classes or change your schedule. Register/enroll as early as possible because last minute enrollment holds up the benefits process. The more you change your schedule the more difficult it makes getting paid.
7. Financial Aid/Scholarships
The Financial Aid Office is located at 102 Sutton Hall. Apply for Free Application of Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) http://www.fafsa.ed.gov . Remember to apply even if you are receiving benefits. February 1 is the priority deadline for the FAFSA to be submitted to the Federal Government. You can begin applying on October 1. EWU school code is 003775.
The EWU Scholarship application final deadline is February 1. This is an online application that can be found at www.ewu.edu/scholarships between October 1 and February 1 each year.
8. EWU Veteran Waiver
• Honorably discharged veterans who were active or reserve members of the US military or naval forces, or national guard members called to active duty who served in active federal service, under either Title 10 or Title 32 of the United States Code, in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or in international waters or in another location in support of those serving on foreign soil or international waters.
• Honorably discharged veterans who did not serve on foreign soil or in international waters or in another location in support of those serving on foreign soil or in international waters.
• Formally admitted to EWU.
• Full time student (10 credits or more per quarter) enrolled in state support courses (self support and independent learning courses do not count toward the 10 credit quarterly requirement).
• Washington state resident.
• Undergraduate students pursuing a first bachelor's degree.
• Maintaining satisfactory academic progress. Eligibility is limited to 225 attempted credits, including transfer hours.
• May not receive the waiver in combination with any other tuition waiver from EWU, another agency or program. Subsidies such as the Montgomery GI Bill are not considered waivers. However, Chapter 31 and 33 benefits recipients do receive direct tuition payment as a benefit and, therefore, are ineligible for this tuition waiver award. Students utilizing tuition assistance are also ineligible for the waiver.
9. Visit the Veterans Resource Center
Call upon our helpful staff, the Vet Corps Represenative, and the Faculty Laisons for assistance with any of the steps above, or if you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy fellow veterans and study between classes in your lounge, use the computer lab, or relax and watch the big screen TV.
10. Go to class. Get good grades. Enjoy Life. Thank you for your service!