Student Life at EWUStudent Life offers education through experience for students outside of the classroom
Cheney, WA 99004
Options for Reporting Sexual Assault
It can be overwhelming to report a sexual assault and it is important for you to know you have options. For the safety and security of our campus, EWU must investigate all claims of violence within the community, whether the survivor chooses to participate or not.
Option: Participate in the EWU Conduct Code Process AND the Criminal Process
Option: Participate in the EWU Conduct Code Process ONLY
Conduct Code Process
- Fill out a Student Concern/Incident Report Form or
- Report the assault by contacting EWU Police at 509.359.7676; EWU can assist in contacting the local Police Department.
- The campus investigation and hearing process will be explained by Student Rights and Responsibilities (SRR).
- EWU will initiate a campus investigation and you will be notified of the outcome.
- EWU and SRR may issue sanctions to students involved.
- A campus hearing will be facilitated by SRR (in the case of a student on student assault).
- You will be notified of the outcome of a campus hearing reguardless of your level of participation.
Option: Participate in the Criminal Process ONLY
- Report the assault by dialing 911. You can contat EWU Police 509.359.7676 and they can assist you.
- You can request a Protection Order through Spokane County.
- Advocacy support and assistance can be provided through the Dean of Students Office by calling 509.359.7924. Consultation through Lutheran Community Service is available on campus and can be scheduled by calling Kerri Handley at 509.343.5057.
- An investigation is conducted by the local police with possible assistance from EWU Police.
- The completed investigation report is forwarded to the appropriate Prosecuting Attorney's Office for possible prosecution.
- Prosecution may occur in criminal court.
Option: Choose to NOT participate in the EWU Conduct Code Process or the Criminal Process
Reporting an act of sexual violence can be confusing. A survivor may be unsure if or when they would like to report and incident. Talking with someone for support, or to discuss if and when to report an assault can be helpful. Support/reporting options include:
Private, non-confidential resources:
EWU Police (24/7) - 509.359.7676
EWU Student Support and Advocacy - 509.359.7924 - Showalter Hall 300
Title IX Coordinator - 509.359.6322
CAPS (counselors on campus) - 509.359.2366 - 225 MAR
Sexual Assault Crisis Line (24/7) - 509.624.7273
YWCA Domestic Violence Crisis Line (24/7) - 509.326.2255
First Call for Help - Suicidal (24/7) - 509.838.4428