Skip to main content

Residency Overview

What is a Student's Residency Status?

At the time of admission, (When)
all students entering a Washington state, regional, or community college or university, (Who) 
are assigned a residency status of "in-state" or "out-of-state" (What) 
based on the location and duration of the student's or parent's one, true domicile (How)
which will determine the student's tuition rate. (Why)

Basic Requirements for an "In-State" Residency Status
To be eligible for "in-state" tuition: Additionally, there are several other groups that may qualify.
To be eligible to establish Washington domicile:
  • a person must be a US citizen, permanent resident, or hold a qualifying visa or other qualifying status such as Temporary Protected Status (TPS) or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA);
  • undocumented students may also qualify for in-state tuition under HB 1079 by submitting a Washington Residency Affidavit.
  • click here for more information regarding how citizenship/immigration status affects residency.
Changing Your Residency Status
If you believe you were assigned an incorrect residency status, or if you believe your status has changed since the time of admission.
  • File a Residency Questionnaire and supporting evidence of Washington domicile with the University.
  • The burden of proof lies with the student. 
  • Residency applications can be submitted up to the 30th calendar day of the term for which the request is made.
  • Applications received after the 30th calendar day will be reviewed for the following term. 
  • The normal processing time is 14 days.
  • Dates

Please submit applications to:
Anthony Silecchia
EWU Records and Registration
201 Sutton Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Fax: 509.359.6153

© 2017 Eastern Washington University
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.