Skip to main content
Student Rights and Responsibilities
320 PUB
Cheney, WA 99004
phone: 509.359.6960
fax: 509.359.6327

FAQ about SRR

What if the misconduct happened off campus?

The conduct code's jurisdiction includes off campus behaviors, and gives the University the option of filing charges for what happens off campus if it adversely affects the University or its objectives.

What happens if I ignore a letter from SRR?

If you ignore a letter from SRR you would be at risk of having a hold put on your academic file, which would mean you couldn't register for classes or your transcripts might be held until SRR removed the hold. To get the hold removed, you would contact SRR and follow through with the conduct review process.

How are University charges different from criminal charges?

University charges are entirely separate from criminal charges and may proceed at the same time as criminal processes. A major difference is that a University finding of responsibility is by "preponderance of evidence" which requires less proof than criminal charges which need to be "beyond a reasonable doubt." The University does not follow criminal rules of evidence and may exclude evidence that is irrelevant or unduly repetitious. Preponderance of evidence means is it more likely than not that the alleged violation of the conduct code happened. If the information at the hearing shows yes, a finding of responsibility will be made. 

What kind of conduct would get someone expelled from EWU?

The aims of the student conduct code are educational, but acts which put other people's safety at risk are not tolerated. Weapons violations, sexual assaults, physical assaults, drug dealing or possession may get you expelled.

Can I appeal the outcome of a hearing?

Both parties can appeal the outcome of a hearing. The conduct code spells out the reasons for appeals and should be thoroughly reviewed. A partial list of reasons an appeal might occur include procedural error, new information coming to light that was unavailable at the time of the hearing, and challenging the reasonableness of sanctions. The conduct code also establishes appeal timelines.

If I was found responsible for a conduct code violation will it be on my permanent record?

There is no notation that will be listed on a transcript. Whether you are found responsible or not, records are maintained for 7 years. Other higher education institutions, professional organizations or government agencies may request a background check if you are applying for employment or admission.

What happens if I do not complete sanctions from SRR?

If you do not complete your assigned sanctions you would be at risk of having a hold put on your academic file, which would mean you couldn't register for classes or your transcripts might be held until SRR removed the hold. To get the hold removed, you would need to offer proof that you completed the sanction. In addition, new sanctions for failure to comply could be issued to you

If there are already criminal charges, why does the University get involved?

The University has an interest in the success of its students and in providing a campus environment free of disruption. The University can investigate and hold hearings on certain acts that may also be criminal. The two processes are different. The University has an interest in protecting students and in holding students accountable when a violation of the conduct code occurs.

If another student is hurting my son or daughter (i.e. harassing, stalking, sexual assault), how can SRR help?

SRR will investigate complaints of harassment, stalking or sexual assault that involve two students. The complainant student needs to be willing to come forward and make a request in writing and OSRR will review it for possible conduct code violations. If a violation is probable the accused student will be called in for a preliminary conference. The accused student can admit responsibility or request a hearing.

The complainant student may also wish to seek help from the victim advocate, who also a member of SRR. The advocate will explain other options to the complainant such as reporting to the police or obtaining an order of protection. The advocate may be able to provide paperwork and accompany the victim as he or she exercises those options.

If my son or daughter has an OSRR charge, will I know about it?

Conduct Review records are considered part of a student's academic record which is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Parents may receive information from SRR if the student signs a waiver permitting that disclosure. There are few exceptions built into FERPA; as an example, parents of minors may be informed if their student has alcohol or drug violations.    

© 2017 Eastern Washington University
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.