Skip to main content
Eastern Washington University
Cheney, WA 99004
phone: 509.359.2488
fax: 509.359.2874

Life Insurance

ING/Relistar - Customer Service

What is Life Insurance?

Life insurance provides a lump sum of money to your beneficiaries if you die. It is intended to help replace the loss of your current and some of your future income. Life insurance covers you whether you die of natural or accidental causes. Whether or not you need life insurance, and if so, how much, is a personal decision, which is different for everyone.

What is AD&D?

Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance provides a lump sum payment if you should die as the direct result of an accident or if you are dismembered as the result of an accident. If you have both life insurance and AD&D and die as the result of an accident, both coverages are paid to your beneficiaries. This is called "double indemnity". If you or any dependents have AD&D and are dismembered as the result of an accident, then you will be the beneficiary of the claim. AD&D coverage never requires any proof of good health, and can be added or dropped at any time.

How Much Life and AD&D Insurance is Available?

Basic Employee Insurance (Part A)
The University provides each eligible employee with $25,000 of life insurance and $5,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance at no cost to the employee.

Additional Insurance
You may purchase up to $350,000 plus your annual salary (rounded up to the next highest $1,000) in life insurance. If you work less than 100% time, and/or less than 12 months per year, calculate the maximum limit by multiplying your monthly salary (as if full-time), by 12, then add $350,000. You may purchase life insurance for a spouse or same-sex domestic partner (SSDP) for up to half of your own level of coverage.

You may purchase up to $250,000 in AD&D insurance for yourself, and a percentage of that amount for your dependents.

Employee Insurance Choices:

Optional Term Life Insurance (Part C)
Insurance under this section is a percentage of your annual salary. You may elect amounts between 50% and 100% or your annual salary, rounded to the next higher $1,000. You may also elect to have this portion of your coverage indexed, so that it increases automatically as your salary increases.

Supplemental Life Insurance (Part D)
In addition to the basic and optional term life insurance, Supplemental insurance allows you to add up to $350,000 of coverage, in increments of $1,000.

Accidental Death & Dismemberment (Part E)
You may select from $25,000 to $250,000 under this option. You may also to cover you dependents under this section. Dependent benefits are a percentage of the amount you elect for yourself.

Dependent Insurance Choices (Part B):

Basic Spouse/SSDP and Child Term Life Insurance
You may elect a benefit of $2,500 on your spouse/SSDP, and/or a benefit of $2,500 for each unmarried dependent child aged 14 days to 24 years. Children will only be eligible for life insurance if they are eligible for medical /dental coverage.

Supplemental Spouse/SSDP Term Life Insurance

If you elect Basic Spouse/SSDP coverage, you may also elect Supplemental Spouse/SSDP insurance. You may purchase this insurance in increments of $1,000, up to a maximum of one-half of the total Part C and Part D coverage you elected for yourself.

How much insurance may I buy without answering any health questions?

If you apply for coverage during the first 60 days of insurance eligibility, the following amounts are available to you without completing the Evidence of Insurability Form:

All Part A Insurance

Part B Basic Spouse/SSDP and/or Child Insurance

Part B Supplemental Spouse/SSDP insurance up to $25,000

Part C Optional Employee insurance up to your annual salary (rounded to the next higher thousand)

Part D Supplemental Employee insurance up to $50,000

All Part E Insurance

What if I request more insurance or want to apply later?

If you apply after the 60 day deadline, or apply for more insurance than the amounts shown above, or want to increase your coverage amounts at a later date, you may request coverage by completing the Evidence of Insurability Form. The insurance company will review the information you provide, and may ask for additional medical information and/or a physical exam in order to make a determination. When medical evidence is required, coverage is not effective until the first of the month following the approval date. You will need to visit the Benefits Office to complete the forms.

How do I change my Beneficiary's?
To change the beneficiary(s) of your life insurance. You will need to complete a new life insurance form. These are available in the Benefits Office. Your coverage's would remain the same.

How Much Life and AD&D Insurance Should I Buy?

The amount you need, if any, is specific to you and your responsibilities and lifestyle. Many people find that as they get older they need less life insurance. If your home is paid for, your children are grown and not dependent on your income, etc, you may find that you need very little or no life insurance.  To determine your insurance needs, evaluate your current and future assets and expenses such as:

costs of staying in your home, child care costs, elder care costs, college expenses, education/training/re-training for a spouse/SSDP currently working at home, costs of assisting a disabled family member.

Does This Insurance Have Any Cash Value?

No. This is term life insurance, with no cash value.

How Do I Enroll?

Request the Life Insurance Enrollment Form

Indicate the amount of coverage you want for yourself and/or your dependents

Complete the Evidence of Insurability Form if required for you and/or your spouse or same-sex domestic partner.

Send the completed form(s) to the Benefits Office.

Coverage which does not require review by the insurance company will be effective the 1st day of the month after receipt of the form. If evidence of insurability is required, the Benefits Office will forward your form to the insurance company, which will contact you directly if any additional information is needed.

How Are Claims Filed?

The Benefits Office files claims on behalf of the employee or beneficiary. A certified copy of the death certificate is required for the claim.

May I Keep This Insurance if I Go on Leave or am Laid Off?

Yes. You may self-pay while on leave or laid off.

May I Keep This Insurance if I Terminate Employment?

If you apply within 30 days of termination and have had the coverage for at least 5 years, you may convert your group term insurance to an individual non-term coverage. Proof of good health will not be required, but the rates you pay may be significantly higher than the group term rates.

Life Insurance Program Book, Certificate of Coverage, and Premiums

You can download the Life Insurance Publication and Certificate of Coverage, plus any needed forms at the HCA website.

© 2017 Eastern Washington University
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.