Skip to main content

Declare your Major

When to declare your major

All admitted students must officially declare their major by the time they reach junior standing. All undeclared students with junior standing will be able to register only after officially declaring their major.

How to officially declare a major

  1. Visit the department of your choice directly. Click here for a list of all academic departments.
  2. Fill out a Major Declaration Form with an advisor in your department. Complete the Major Declaration Form online, before printing, with:
    1. Your name, EWUID and the date
    2. Your major declaration status:
      1. First-Time Declaration,
      2. Adding Second Major, or
      3. Changing Majors
    3. Select your major from the drop-down list of majors
    4. Select any minor(s) that you'd like to add at this time
  3. Print the Major Declaration Form and sign it. Then have your departmental advisor fill in their information and sign it.
  4. The completed Major Declaration Form with appropriate signatures should be sent directly from the approving department to Records and Registration, Sutton 201, or faxed to 359.6153.
  • When you declare your major(s) you may also declare one or more minors. Signatures are not required if you are only declaring a minor.
  • If you are declaring a certificate program, you must declare your major program at the same time. You will need to complete and submit two separate Major Declaration Forms--one for each program. Certificate programs are listed in the Major drop-down list. You do not need a signature from the faculty advisor of the certificate program.
  • Students wishing to declare more than one major must meet with each major department and submit a Major Declaration Form for each major.
  • You may change your major at any time by visiting the new department and resubmitting the Major Declaration Form according to the guidelines above.
  • The catalog requirements that apply to any major or minor that you declare will be those in effect at the time of declaration (e.g., a student declaring in fall 2009, winter 2010, spring 2010, or summer 2010 will be evaluated according to the requirements in the fall 2009 catalog). After the 10th day of each summer quarter, students will be declared in the catalog for the following fall (e.g., a student whose major declaration form is submitted after 10th day of summer 2010 will be declared in the fall 2010 catalog).

    Post baccalaureate students

    Students who have already earned a post baccalaureate degree must declare a major after being admitted to the University as a post baccalaureate student. Financial Aid cannot be awarded to a post baccalaureate student prior to the major declaration being posted. Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office for additional information.

    Former students returning

    Former Eastern Washington University students who were required to submit a Former Student Returning Application to the Admissions Office must declare their intended major prior to earning 90 credits even if they had previously declared a major.

    **Please note that some majors require an application and/or admission to the program prior to official major declaration. Please contact your major department directly to inquire about additional requirements.**


    © 2018 Eastern Washington University
    EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.