Student Life at EWUStudent Life offers education through experience for students outside of the classroom
Cheney, WA 99004
2017 Commencement Student Speaker Selection
Serving as the EWU Commencement student speaker offers a special opportunity to represent the Eagle community and represent your graduating class, reflecting upon the experiences you have had at Eastern and what you have learned.
We hope you will consider submitting an application and look forward to your involvement in the process!
Commencement student speaker applicants must meet the following criteria:
Currently enrolled graduate or undergraduate EWU students in good standing (not on academic probation and in compliance with student conduct code requirements)
Approved for graduation in May/June 2017
A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above
Phase I: Online Application Packet (Tent. Deadline April 14, 2017)
The application is comprised of the following elements:
- Candidate Application/Information Form
- Current copy of your resume (including academic achievements, affiliations and leadership roles with any clubs/organizations, community service contributions, and awards earned while an EWU student)
- One-page overview of the message and focus of your proposed speech (including the topic and all main points, double-spaced)
- Names and contact information of 3 faculty/staff references (one reference must be from your academic major)
Students must complete the application form and upload the required elements through EagleSync.
Phase II: Interviews (Tent. May 1-4, 2017)
Candidates selected to move on to the second phase of the process will interview with the Selection Committee and deliver their full proposed speech. Speeches should be no longer than 5 minutes in length and will be timed to stay within this requirement. Successful speeches will reflect on the common "Eagle experience" and share, in a personal way, the value of an EWU education.
During the interview phase, candidates will be evaluated based upon three primary criteria:
- content and delivery of the speech
- reflection of university's high academic standards
- consistency of presentation with EWU's mission and values
Phase III: Selection
We expect to notify candidates by email the week of May 8, 2017.
Phase IV: Commencement Speech Preparation (selected speakers only, May-June 2017)
During this period, the two successful candidates will be required to work with a "Commencement Speech Coach" who will assist the students to revise and refine their speeches from the time of selection through the commencement ceremony.