The Student Employment office primarily assists students in finding part-time work to help fund their education, gain valuable work experience, and test out career choices.
303 Sutton Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Work Study Process
How do I get Work Study?
The first step is to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the EWU priority deadline of February 15th and to make sure that you indicate on your FAFSA preferences that you are interested in work Study.
The next step is to make sure to respond promptly to any request for information from the Financial Aid office.
Once your application is complete and has been reviewed by the Financial Aid Office, you will receive notice of your award on EagleNet. Please check your Eagles e-mail frequently for instructions on how to access your award in EagleNet via the new myEWU Portal. If you do not have an Eagles e-mail, please click the link to set one up. If you are awarded work study, a work study estimate will be included on your electronic award notice. If you do not see a work study estimate, you were not awarded work study for the academic year. If you do not receive work study, you can still apply for jobs at Eastern under the institutional employment program.
I have been awarded Work Study, now what?
After you have accepted your work study award, you will need to activate an EagleAXIS account using the following steps:
Submitting a Resume or EWU Job Application
Most on-campus and off-campus jobs require a resume to apply. If not, you may use the EWU On-Campus Job Application, located in the EagleAXIS Multimedia Career Library. If the job posting does require a resume, you will need to create one. Resume assistance can be obtained by visiting the Career Services resources page or by visiting Career Services in Showalter Hall 114.
- Login to your EagleAXIS account with your EWU Net ID.
- Select the "Documents and Resources" tab.
- Under "Documents" tab, click on the "Add New" button.
- In the "Label" field, input the appropriate title for your document.
- Under the "Document Type", select the correct option.
- Browse for your file and select the document you want to upload.
- Select "Submit".
You are strongly encouraged to have a Career Advisor review your resume before applying for positions outside of the University. Career Services is located in Showalter Hall 112. You may also visit their website at: www.ewu.edu/careerservices.
Searching and Applying for Jobs
Log in to your EagleAXIS account using your EWU NetID.
- Click on the "Search Opportunities" tab, and then click on "EagleAXIS - Opportunity Listings".
- For "Position Type" select "On Campus - Workstudy" or "Off Campus - Workstudy" and then click on the "Search" button.
- At the bottom of the page, a list of available positions will appear. Hint: Clicking on the "Job Title", "Employer", "Position Type", "Posted" or "Deadline" column headings will sort the list by that column.
- Click on the job title link to view the full job description.
- To apply for the position, look to the right side of the full job description under "Want this job"?
- If it says "Application Status" you do not have any resumes available to submit. Please upload your resume and try again.
Is other hiring paperwork required?
Important Notice: To work at Eastern Washington University as a student employee, you must have original identification documents available by the third day of work. These documents are listed on the Department of Homeland Security website and you must present them in person when you come to campus.
- DO NOT SIGN THE HIRING FORMS WHEN YOU FILL THEM OUT! Instead, bring the forms into the Student Employment office where you will sign them. Photo identification is required.
If someone else (such as a parent) claims you as a dependent on their tax return, you may want to discuss how their future tax returns may be affected and how you should complete your W-4 withholding section. For W-4 questions, contact the Payroll office at 509.359-2325 or visit them at Showalter Hall 322.
Where do I get my Work Study Verification and Authorization Form?
You will need to come to the Student Employment office located in Sutton Hall 303 on or after September 24th, to pick up your 2013-2014 Work Study Verification and Authorization Form. Photo ID is required when you pick up the form.
Can I use Work Study Off Campus?
Yes. Work study jobs can be on-campus, or off-campus where the employer has entered into a formal agreement with either EWU or the Washington State Achievement Council (WSAC) (formerly HECB).
- If the employer is already contracted with the WSAC, all you need is a current job description (posted in EagleAXIS) and your completed Off Campus Part Time Authorization form available in the Student Employment office.
Off Campus Community Service Jobs
EWU encourages all students to perform jobs which provide a community service.
- Students who are eligible for work study may seek jobs that perform a community service. These positions are paid just as any other work study job would be, but in addition, provide a valuable community service.
- If the employer is already contracted with WSAC, all you need is a current job description (posted in EagleAXIS) and your completed Off Campus Part-Time Authorization form available in the Student Employment Office.