CommencementThe dream that seemed so far away — graduation day — is now within reach. All the late nights studying and socializing with friends will at last culminate in a walk across the stage where your accomplishments can be recognized by family, friends and the Eastern community.
201 Sutton Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Commencement is a formal ceremony which derives from a tradition established by institutions of higher education over hundreds of years. The ceremony is a dignified and joyous occasion that conveys the respect society feels toward those who have worked so hard to reach their academic achievements. Commencement honors degree recipients and their families, many of whom have made considerable sacrifices, so that these moments may be savored. During the program, each graduate is recognized by name when crossing the stage to receive his/her diploma cover. Special recognition is also given to those who have achieved academic honors.
2016 Commencement will be Saturday, June 11, 2016 at the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena:
- The 9 a.m. ceremony will be for both Graduate and Baccalaureate students in the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences and Social Work and in the College of Business and Public Administration.
- The 2 p.m. ceremony will be for both Graduate and Baccalaureate students in the College of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics, the College of Health Science & Public Health and the College of Arts, Letters & Education.
- Click here for 2015 detailed information on departments in each college.
- "Like" us on facebook for up-to-date information. The information will update closer to the actual date.
- Watch the 2015 ceramonies for a preview of 2016 9 a.m. ceremony 2 p.m. ceremony. The 2016 commencement ceremonies are live on June 11th!
- Out of respect for each other and the solemnity of the occasion, graduates and guests are asked to stay for the entire ceremony.
- The ceremony is expected to last two hours.
- All graduates should wear the appropriate academic cap and gown.
- There will be a 3x5 card and a pencil on your chair at the ceremony. Please write your name as you want it read. If your name is difficult to pronounce, please write it phonetically. This card is handed to the reader at the platform so that the graduate's name may be called.
- Doctoral and master's candidates will be hooded prior to receiving the diploma cover and should carry their hoods to the lineup and in the Grand March.
Diplomas for winter 2015 baccalaureate graduates were mailed April 8, 2015.
Diplomas for spring 2015 baccalaureate graduates were mailed July 14, 2015.