Grading Deadlines, Grade Changes, Incomplete Grades
201 Sutton Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Deadlines for posting grades:
- Fall quarter 2012, Tuesday, December 18, 2011, 11:00 a.m.
- Winter quarter 2013, Tuesday, March 26, 2012, 11:00 a.m.
- Spring quarter 2013, Tuesday, June 18, 2012, 11:00 a.m.
- Summer quarter 2013, varies
Instructor Grading Information
During the academic year, grades must be submitted by 11:00 a.m. on the 2nd Tuesday after the last day of classes.
In summer quarter, online grading will not be available until the Tuesday of the last week of quarter due to late registration periods. You will have through 11:00 a.m. the following Tuesday to finish your grading before the system is closed. Online grading for courses meeting the first four weeks of summer quarter will be available the Tuesday before the end of the session. Grading will last for the first session through the following Tuesday at 11:00 a.m. At that time, the online grading will be closed. After the online grading closes, any changes will need to be done using the grade change procedures.
Courses not meeting the standard quarter dates can be graded outside the standard quarter grading cycles. Courses may be set up to be graded in one of the monthly grading cycles by designating a special part of the term for the course. Once students are registered in a course designated with a special part of the term it cannot be changed.
Eastern uses a numerical grading system, reporting grades by decimals to the nearest tenth. See the EWU Catalog for details.
- Grades may be recorded at 0.0, 0.7 - 4.0. NOTE - 0.1 - 0.6 grades may not be assigned.
- Other letter grades that may be assigned are
- X - Incomplete
- Deferred grade for course that is originally scheduled to continue the next quarter for internship, thesis, etc.
- P/NC - only for courses approved for Pass/No Credit grading
- P/F - P or 0.0 - only for courses approved for Pass/Fail grading
Course Grading Modes
- A Academic Forgiveness
- G Pre-University Basic Skill P/NC
- M Exclude Earned Hours and GPA
- N Pass/Fail (Pass or 0.0)
- P Pass/No Credit Student
- Q Pass/No Credit Course
- R Repeat
- S Standard Numeric Grading
- T Transfer
- U Pre-University Basic Skills Numeric
- V Pre-University Basic Skills P/NC Courses
- W Pre-University Basic Skills Repeat
- X Exclude Earned Hours and GPA
- Z No Credit/Non Graded
Problems You May Encounter
- Student name not on grade roster - Check with the student for name changes or to determine if the student may have registered in another section of the course, etc., or call the Records and Registration office for assistance at 359.6594.
- Student never attended - a numeric grade must be assigned for each student. Students must contact Records and Registration to appeal before they can be officially withdrawn. Leave no grades blank.
- Last date of attendance - must be listed for each student receiving a 0.0, X, or NC. This information is used to calculate refunds for financial aid.
Grade changes should be made within two quarters of the initial grade assignment. Grade changes must be completed on the official Grade Transaction Form with the appropriate signatures. A faxed copy of the form or an email cannot be accepted. Forms may be obtained from the department secretary or picked up in the Records and Registration office. Please do not send students to pick up forms. A work study from your area may pick up the forms with a memo from the department authorizing them to do so. The student's name must be on the memo and the student must have their EWU ID with them. Please indicate the approximate number of forms needed.
Please check the following information before submitting changes:
1. Student name is correct
2. Student EWUID number is on the form and is the correct number
3. CRN (Course Reference Number), Course Title and Course Sequence Number and Section Number ( example: 12746 ADST49101) are on the form
4. Correct number of credits
5. Correct quarter and year (example: Fall 2006 would be 40 for the quarter and 2006 for the year)
- Fall = 40
- Winter = 10
- Spring = 20
- Summer = 30
6. The current grade is indicated (If the student was issued an incomplete grade has the time expired for completion? If the time has expired the current grade is the converted grade and not an X.)
7. The new grade
8. Reason for the change
- Administrative Clerical Error
- Additional Work Completed
- Attended wrong section
- Entry Error
- Instructor Error
- Name Change
- Resolution Academic Integrity
- Student Request
Note: Grades are should not be changed to satisfy Financial Aid requirements. Student must have completed the work and earned the assigned grade.
9. Your printed name, department and the telephone number where Records and Registration office may contact you and where the student may reach you.
10. Forward grade change by campus mail or hand carry to your department chair. Once the chairperson signs, they forward the form on to the dean's office for signature. The dean's office personnel may hand carry the forms to our Records and Registration office or send them by campus mail.
11. The student may not hand carry the grade change at any time.
When assigning an incomplete grade, the student must meet the following criteria:
- Incomplete grades are only assigned to students who have been attending class and who have performed all necessary work up until the last three weeks of the quarter during the academic year or until the last two weeks of summer session.
- An incomplete grade may be assigned when the student is passing the course, but is unable to complete all the course requirements.
Information on how to assign an incomplete grade can be found on page 18 of the EagleNET Faculty User's Guide.