Flooding & Water Damage, Winter Weather, Thunder/Lightning Storms, Earthquakes, Tornadoes
Cheney, WA 99004
Flooding and Water Damage:
· NOTIFY THE WORK ORDER DESK 509.359.2245 AND DISPATCH 509.535.9233 immediately during business hours. After hours, and holidays call the Operations Control Center 509.359.6460 (24 hours). Advise the exact location and severity of the leak.
· Notify you Supervisor.
· If there are electrical appliances or electrical outlets near the leak, use caution. Do not step into standing water.
Winter Weather: EWU will occasionally cancel classes when severe winter weather threatens:
· Do not drive unless you must.
· Call the EWU snow line: 509.359.SNOW (509.359.7669).
· Wear Several Layers of loose-fitting, light weight, warm clothing rather than one layer of heavy clothing.
· Wear mittens instead of gloves and a hat or cap.
· If caught in your car during a blizzard or winter storm, remain in your vehicle and wait to be found.
· Watch for symptoms of frostbite and hypothermia.
· If you are in a forest, seek shelter in a low area under a thick growth of small trees.
· If you are in an open area, go to a low place such as a ravine or valley.
· If you are in open water, get to land and find shelter immediately.
· If you feel your hair stand on end (indicates that lightening is about to strike), squat low to the grown on the balls of your feet. Place your hands over your ears and your head between your knees. Make yourself the smallest target possible and minimize your contact to the ground. DO NOT lie flat on the ground.
· Take cover under a sturdy desk, table, or bench or against an inside wall.
· If there isn't a desk or table or desk near you, cover your face and head with your arms and crouch in an inside corner of the building.
· Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls, and anything, that can fall and hurt you.
· Do not enter or exit the building during shaking.
· Use flashlights, do not use matches, lighters, candles, or electrical switches.
· If evacuation is ordered, proceed to the appropriate assembly area.
· Do not move seriously injured persons unless they are in obvious, immediate danger.
· Avoid using telephones except to report severe emergencies.
· Do not spread rumors.
· Inform emergency/rescue personnel of the location of any trapped person(s).
Tornadoes: If you are under a tornado watch:
· Go to a pre-designated shelter area, if there is no such area, go to the center of an interior room on the lowest level. Put as many walls as possible between you and the outside. Get under a sturdy table and use your arms to protect your head and neck. Do not cover windows.
· If you are in a vehicle, trailer or mobile home get out immediately and go to the lowest floor of a sturdy, nearby building or a storm shelter. Mobile homes, even if tied down, offer little protection.
· If outside, with no shelter, lie flat in a nearby ditch or depression and cover your head with your hands.
For more emergent weather information go to the FEMA website at: http://www.fema.gov/