Mass illness can be caused by disease organisms or by exposure to toxic substances. Exposure can result from skin contact, ingestion of food or water, or breathing airborne substances or organisms.
If you or someone around you becomes ill, especially if the onset is sudden:
· Is there more than one person affected?
· Does the illness seem to originate from or be confined to a specific area?
· Did those affected engage in similar activity, such as sharing a meal?
· If symptoms appear serious or life threatening, such as shortness of breath, uncontrolled vomiting, altered mental status or unconsciousness, call 911 immediately.
· Notify Environmental Health and Safety at: 509.359.6496 if multiple persons exhibit similar symptoms in about the same time period. After hours contact University Police at 509.535.9233.
Follow the guidelines listed in Hazardous Materials and in Biohazards.