Assessment is fundamental to our identity as a teaching institution. It sits at the core of our mission: student learning. Academic assessment is not a responsibility confined to a single, centralized committee; rather, this responsibility is distributed among all who shape the student learning experience.
220 Showalter Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Advisory Committee on Academic Assessment (ACAA)
Committee Membership and Charge
ACAA provides counsel to the Provost and informed direction to the faculty on the policies and practices of academic assessment. A new name and charge to this committee was officially approved by the Provost on October 2010. Prior to this date, the committee was referred to as the Assessment, Institutional Effectiveness and Accountability Committee (AIEA).
Faculty Support for Assessment
- The EWU Undergraduate Studies Office provides faculty support and resources for faculty around teaching, learning, and assessment for graduate and undergraduate courses. Contact: Helen Bergland.
Current Assessment Reports
Assessment reports are based on established Student Learning Outcomes. See links on the left sidebar for a description of the assessment process and current reports by college and by General Education areas.
EWU Assessment and Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) Accreditation
- NWCCU Year One Self-Evaluation Report
This report contains a response to NWCCU recommendations related to assessment at EWU on pages 4 - 22.
***NWCCU Commendation One (page 8):
"Eastern Washington University has made impressive progress toward a data-driven institutional culture of assessment since their last comprehensive evaluation and subsequent focused interim visit. Programs across all four colleges are well-engaged with data collection and analysis aimed at understanding how expectations for learning are being met, and program faculty are using the results of the assessments to drive program changes. The panel strongly urges the university to continue this progress."
Assessment Documentation Archives
Current SLOs are available on the left sidebar link.
Links to Committee Resources
- ACAA SharePoint Site -Committee workspace
- NILOA- National Institute of Learning Outcomes Assessment
- AACU Assessment Glossary
- Assessment Glossary, WA Commission on Student Learning Assessment
- Commonly Used Acronyms at EWU
- EWU Expanding Our Horizons: University Strategic Planning Report, 2004 - 2005
- Bridgewater State College Assessment Guidebook for Departments
North Carolina State hosts this site, which currently has over 1,200 links to assessment resources, including over 400 college and university assessment sites.
- APA Assessment CyberGuide for Learning Goals and Outcomes (1999)