Appeals Process for Contract Termination

Steps for Appealing the Housing and Dining Contract Termination Fees:

Students may appeal the Contract Termination Fees for the following reasons:

  1. Graduation from EWU at the time of cancellation;
  2. Withdrawal from the University due to documented medical reasons or military service;
  3. Student teaching, internship, or study abroad (in EWU sponsored program) out of the Spokane/Cheney area.
  4. Marriage;
  5. Severe financial hardship; (This must be a significant change in your financial situation from the time you entered the contract.)
  6. Designation as primary care-giver for a minor or disabled family member
  7. A significant extenuating circumstance which makes it impossible for you to continue to live on campus.

Your next steps are as follows:

Write an appeal letter/email. The appeal letter should include:

  • An introduction of yourself and how your circumstances meet one of the approved criteria;
  • Specific details on your unique situation and why it kept you from continuing to live on campus

Include supporting documentation.

  • Acceptable documentation can include, but is not limited to: doctor's verification, call to military service orders, evidence of registration in student teaching/internship program, marriage license/certificate, and financial statements.

Submit your written appeal to Please scan and email your documentation with your appeal letter.  If you are not able to scan the documents, you may fax them to (509) 359-6528.

The appeal letter and necessary documents must be received by Housing and Residential Life within 30 days of the contract termination.  The Housing Contract Termination Appeals committee will review your request and documentation.  You will be contacted via your Eagles Email with the decision of the committee or if additional information is required.

For further questions please reference the contract or contact our office at (509) 359-2451.

© 2014 Eastern Washington University