Disability Support ServicesThe Office of Disability Support Services is dedicated to the coordination of appropriate and reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities.
121 Tawanka Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Disability Support Services
**** Faculty sign in for student accommodation letters, please click the link below****
Tawanka Hall Rm 121
Monday-Friday 8:00am - 5:00 pm
The Office of Disability Support Services is dedicated to the coordination of appropriate and reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities that are based upon individual needs, so that each student may receive an equal opportunity to learn, to participate in campus life, and to grow emotionally and socially, and to successfully complete a program of study that will enable them to be self supporting while remaining as independent as possible. This is facilitated through support services, information sharing, advisement, and referral when requested.
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Washington State Law Against Discrimination, RCW 49.60, and Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act prohibit discrimination against individuals on the basis of disability. An individual is considered to be disabled if he/she has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity (seeing, hearing, walking, caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, speaking, breathing, learning and working), has a record of such disability, or is regarded as having such a disability. The term "reasonable accommodation" means any change or adjustment that makes it possible for an individual with a disability to participate in a program or activity, or to benefit from a service.
Role of Disability Support Services
Academically qualified students with disabilities are an integral part of the student population at Eastern Washington University, and providing equal opportunities is a campus-wide responsibility and commitment. Although the University does not offer specialized curricula or assume the role of a rehabilitation center, personnel within the University work with students to modify campus facilities and programs to meet individual needs.
Disability Support Services staff can provide details about the services provided and are available to meet with prospective students. We encourage students to contact DSS Office by phone 359-6871 (V), e-mail: DSS@ewu.edu, letter or in person.
Requesting Reasonable Accommodation
- Student must be admitted and/or enrolled in the University. This does not prohibit potential students from requesting information on programs, services, and activities.
- Student is responsible for initiating contact with the Disability Support Services Office. Please fill out our student profile form and schedule an appointment for an intake interview.
- The University encourages students to apply for funding through resource agencies that assist specific disabilities.
Documentation of Disability
- Student is responsible for providing documentation from a professional service provider that includes description of the disability, names and results of tests administered (if appropriate), effect of the disability on students access to university programs, services, and activities, and suggestions for specific accommodations that would provide equal access to University programs, services, and activities.
- Please review the requirements for specific disabilities on our Policy page.
- Documentation is kept in student's confidential file in the Disability Support Services Office.
- Diagnosis is subject to verification by the University.
- It is the responsibility of the student to meet with the professor and discuss accommodations. A student can identify with DSS at any time during a quarter, if this happens, the student still needs to meet with each professor to arrange accommodations.
Kevin Hills- Director Khills@ewu.edu 509-359-4706
Valerie Marsh- Accommodation Specialist firstname.lastname@example.org 509-359-4135
Joetta Sieglock- Adaptive Tech. and Retention Spec. email@example.com 509-359-6574
Hannah Lee- Program Assitant firstname.lastname@example.org 509-359-4137