Placement and Certification Files
A placement file or credentials file is a comprehensive application packet sent upon request directly from our office to an employer or graduate school. It is required for most certified teaching positions in the state of Washington.
114 Showalter Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Placement and Certification Files
New placement files created after August 1, 2012 will only be created as non-confidential placement files. Confidential files created before this date will continue to be maintained as confidential.
Placement files are a useful place to store application information, especially letters of recommendation. As application processes have become more automated, the use of placement files has become more complex. School Districts vary widely in their requirements for references: some use only reference letters while others use only reference forms. Most districts use a combination of letters and reference forms. The placement file can still be very useful in assisting the job searcher to manage and send out reference letters, but applicants must gain a thorough knowledge of application procedures for each individual district to which application is made.
Please note: Although other materials may be kept in your file (resumes, cover letters, transcripts), only letters of recommendation will be sent after August 1, 2012.
How to Set Up and Activate a Placement File
To create a file you will need to have an EagleAXIS account. To open a placement file you will need to sign a waiver and consent form (this can be found in the document library in EagleAXIS) and:
Required Placement File Documents:
- 3 - 5 Letters of recommendation
- Waiver & Consent Form
To activate your Placement File, remember to pay your annual fee, which is good for one year from the activation date on your first request of submission to a school. This fee includes unlimited electronic files sent to your prospective employers and can be paid directly to Career Services either in-person or over the phone.
How to request a placement file transmission
Please Note: All requests for placement file transmission must be done electronically through EagleAXIS. Directions for request found here.
Note: Requests are sent out within 2-3 working days. A special handling fee of $10 is assessed to files sent by Express Mail or needing to be sent prior to the standard timeframe. Same-day service cannot be guaranteed in all circumstances.
Should I have a placement file?
There are benefits and drawbacks to establishing a placement file. They are no longer required by most districts, but some students and alumni do find them helpful.
- Allows the candidate to store confidential or non-confidential letters easily without extra handling by the applicant.
- Enables reference writers to write 1 letter for all districts (that use letters and don't require applicant download)
- Keeps records in 1 location from which they can be sent - stores a history
- Allows for storage of documents in case of computer crash or destruction of your copies
- Districts that use Reference Forms ONLY don't need the letters in placement files
- Must be maintained with some current letters (letters older than 5 years are not accepted by school districts)
- A few districts have switched to an automated system requiring the applicant to upload non-confidential letters into a personal account, making the placement file non-usable for those districts
- There is a nominal fee to use this service.
Advising on applying for certified education positions
A trained advisor is available to provide feedback on materials and job search strategy. Make an appointment with this advisor by selecting "Arts, Letters, and Education" as the advising type when requesting your appointment from within EagleAXIS. Not sure how to make an appointment? Directions are here.