Working from a broad-based understanding of university policies and procedures, academic advisors will consistently share accurate, current and pertinent information allowing students to maximize their education opportunities. A personal relationship between student and advisor facilitates and accelerates the student/university interaction.
103 Sutton Hall (1st floor)
Cheney, WA 99004
Petition for Academic Reinstatement
Petitioning for academic reinstatement instructions:
Undergraduate students who have been academically dismissed and who wish to return to EWU must petition for academic reinstatement. Before petitioning for academic reinstatement, please review the full Academic Probation, Dismissal and Reinstatement Policy here.
Please be aware, academic reinstatement is different from financial aid reinstatement. Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office directly for information about financial aid reinstatement.
Students academically dismissed for the first time are eligible to petition for academic reinstatement after remaining out of EWU for one academic quarter (Fall, Winter or Spring). Students dismissed for a second time are eligible to petition for reinstatement after remaining out of EWU for one academic year (Fall, Winter, and Spring). A second-time petition should demonstrate your readiness for academic success and reflect a more positive academic position.
- All returning EWU students must reactivate their EWU Email account here.
- Print and complete the Petition for Academic Reinstatement. Please answer the questions in the space provided on the form.
- Attach unofficial transcripts for any courses you have attended since you last attended EWU.
- Attach any documentation that may assist the Academic Reinstatement Committee in making their decision (such as a letter from a doctor or lawyer, or a police report).
- Students who have been absent from EWU for more than four quarters must apply for re-admission to EWU at the same time they petition for academic reinstatement. Please visit the Admissions Office website for information about applying as a Returning Undergraduate (former EWU student returning).
- Submit your Petition for Academic Reinstatement and any additional documentation (unofficial transcripts, letters of support) to the appropriate office (see below):
Submit your completed Petition for Academic Reinstatement to the Dean of the College for your declared major. Contact the Dean's Office for deadlines and additional information:
Dean's Office Contact Information
|College of Arts, Letters and Education (CALE)||Art, English, Film, Humanities, Journalism, Modern Languages & Literatures, Music, Philosophy, Physical Education, Health & Recreation, Theater||
CALE Dean's Office
|College of Business and Public Adminstration (CBPA)||Business & Marketing Education, Economics, Finance, Health Services Administration, Management, Management Information Systems, Marketing, Professional Accounting, Urban & Regional Planning||CBPA Dean's Office
668 N. Riverpoint Blvd, Suite A.
|College of Science, Health and Engineering (CSHE)||Biology, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Communication Disorders, Computer Science, Dental Hygiene, Design, Engineering, Environmental Science, Geology, Mathematics, Natural Science, Nursing, Physics
||CSHE Dean's Office
138 Communications Bldg.
|College of Social and Behavioral Sciences and Social Work (CSBSSW)||Anthropology, Children's Studies, Communication Studies, Counseling, Educational & Developmental Psychology, Criminal Justice, Geography, Government, History, Interdisciplinary Studies, Int'l Affairs, Military Science, Psychology, Social Studies, Social Work, Sociology, Women's & Gender Studies
||CSBSSW Dean's Office
121 Senior Hall
Submit your completed Petition for Academic Reinstatement to Academic Advising on the first floor of Sutton Hall by the posted deadline (see below). Undeclared students will be sent notification of the Academic Reinstatement Committee's decision to their EWU Email.
Petitions may be mailed to:
Eastern Washington University
103 Sutton Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
|Quarter||Instruction Begins||Deadline for Petition for Reinstatement
|Summer 2012||June 25, 2012||Thursday, June 21, 2012|
|Fall 2012||September 26, 2012||Friday, August 31, 2012|
|Winter 2013||January 7, 2013||Thursday, December 20, 2012|
|Spring 2013||April 1, 2013||Thursday, March 28, 2013|
|Summer 2013||June 24, 2013||Thursday, June 20, 2013|
To petition for Academic Reinstatement for summer session:
- Students who have been absent from EWU for more than four quarters must apply for re-admission to EWU for summer session at the same time they petition for academic reinstatement. Please visit the Admissions Office website for information about applying as a Returning Undergraduate (former EWU student returning).
- Submit a Petition for Academic Reinstatement as described above (undeclared students should submit their petition and materials to Academic Advising and declared students should submit their petition and materials to their college dean's office).